There are two ways you can earn ad revenue from YouTube.
- 1. Monetizing your songs: With CD Baby’s YouTube Monetization Program, we’ll make sure YouTube identifies ANY video that uses your music — and we’ll make sure you get paid a share of the ad revenue.
- 2. Monetizing your YouTube channel: When you monetize your channel, you are able to make money off the videos you upload directly to your channel (whether or not they have your music). This does NOT monetize your songs across YouTube, meaning that when you monetize your channel, you are NOT making money from videos uploaded by your fans or other YouTube users.
All the money is generated by ads on the videos. You’ll earn money from an ad on your video if someone:
- clicks the text or banner ad
- watches the entire commercial, or at least 30 seconds of the commercial (if it’s longer than 30 seconds).
Absolutely. You always keep 100% of your rights. We just help you get paid.
Do you own the rights to the master recording and the composition (lyrics and melody)? If so, you qualify. In other words, you can’t monetize cover songs or works of public domain. But otherwise, you’re all set!
If you are already making money from monetizing your YouTube channel, CD Baby will still collect revenue for the videos that contain your songs that are a part of our YouTube monetization program. You can do one of the following things:
- Keep things simple and let us take over the management of ad revenues for your YouTube channel. There are no payout thresholds to meet when you go through CD Baby.
- Have CD Baby “whitelist” your channel. This will allow you to continue collect revenues directly from your channel while giving CD Baby the ability to collect ad revenue whenever your music appears in someone else’s video.
- Opt-out of CD Baby’s YouTube monetization program. However, this will remove your music from YouTube’s Content ID system that enables you to make money off of other videos on YouTube that are using your music.